Monday, August 25, 2008

Jung SuWon Video


I think by now you are getting the idea: Jung SuWon training is nothing what you ever expect. Just when you think you got it all figured out - you realize you just don't!

We were preparing to participate in a regional tournament. Now we don't usually go to tournaments because they have deteriorated so much, and made political events out of a very ancient Martial Arts form. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying people shouldn't participate - I am just saying, we usually don't.

During that preparation time, we also had a demo at a local high school. It was a very large school, and we had several demos scheduled during the day. Late in the afternoon, I was a bit careless and while breaking a couple of cinderblocks with an axe kick, I slashed open my heel, blood everywhere. I ended up with stitches in my heel and doctors telling me I wasn't supposed to walk much, let alone train.

No good! The tournament was in 3 days, and I am grounded? So I was going to just wing it and participate anyhow.

But Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim wouldn't have any of that. No, she had an entirely different plan for me. Grab the video camera and film! Now I had never filmed anything in my entire life, nor had I even held a camera before. I knew nothing, not even how to turn this thing on! Well, ok, so I asked, what about doing the forms? I agred to film the sparring, but what about forms? Expecting that Grandmaster Kim would say I could do at least compete in forms. But, she just calmly replied, "You can film those too."

You can imagine that the remaining days I spent every minute I had with the camera and trying to learn what to do and how to do it....

Martial Arts is a whole lot more than punching and kicking....it's all about living life to the fullest!

No comments: