Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Keep on Trying!


Of course, just by joining a Martial Arts Class and admiring a new found Master doesn't automatically guarantee anything and no miracles happened. It did take hard work, sweat and even tears now and then.

But, like everything else worthwhile in life, what effort you put in is what you get out. It was hard to erase old habits, old attitudes, old thoughts that I had let become engrained in my head.

Here is one simple thing I learned: if something seems too hard to do, just tell yourself you only have to do it for one minute (or for however long you think you might be able to handle it). Then after that one minute, give yourself some credit and make it another minute. When you feel comfortable that you can do a minute no problem, up it to 5 minutes, or whatever you feel comfortable with). And keep going like that. Pretty soon you'll realize it's not such a big deal after all.

This method was my life saver back then, and I still keep going back to it to get me over the rough spots in life.

Although now of course, after many years of training, I do know and have the confidence that whatever comes my way, somehow I will be able to handle it, and handle it well.

No comments: