Thursday, June 26, 2008

My first attempts at meditation




Well, at first I wasn't so sure what meditation was supposed to be. When Grandmaster Kim told me that I needed to meditate every day, I really had no clue.

She started me out with baby steps: just sit down in a quiet spot, at a quiet time of day, where no other things are interfering, light a candle and focus on the flame. Thank goodness she didn't ask me to not think anything!

Grandmaster Kim explained to me that if I am so pre-occupied with not thinking about anything, I would end up thinking about not thinking....and so would get lost right away.

Instead, she advised, just let thoughts come as they will, and let them flow through. Don't hold on to anything, but let the thoughts come and then let them go again. Let the thoughts settle down until peaceful feelings set in.

I must admit, my first try was just that: an attempt. I remember sitting there, staring at this candle, and wondering how long I would have to sit there, and if I would ever have some profound experience. I was also wondering how this would or could help me with my problems.

But, I was hanging on to one thing: Grandmaster Kim had asked me to give it a try and I figured it would be worth the try.

So, I kept "meditating"......and sure enough, after just a few times, I started to feel this new calm feeling, something I hadn't felt before.....

....but more about that later....

No comments: