Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Facing Strengths and Weaknesses



This is the thing about being human.  Every person in the world has strengths and weaknesses.  I am not sure when or where us humans decided we had to hide our weaknesses and only show our strengths, or in other extremes, have to punish ourselves for our weaknesses.



We seem to have managed to screw things up a bit here, but Dr. Tae Yun Kim gives me very simple ways to not only realize I have both strengths and weaknesses, but also how to deal with this.

"To really put your best face forward, you must be willing to look as hard at your weaknesses as you do your strengths and say, "I am a mixture of both."  Why?  So you can eliminate the weaknesses.  How? By looking carefully at yourself and getting to know yourself.  Take a piece of paper and pencil and actually list your strengths and weaknesses.  Listen ten of each.  See how easy or difficult this task is.  See how well you really know yourself.



So, look clinically at your strengths and weaknesses.  You don't need to make value judgments on yourself.  When ou find your strengths, decide to keep them, but do not become overly confident or egotistical.  When you find your weaknesses, determine to eliminate them, but do not fall in a mire of depression, dejection, or self-condemnation."

I love how Dr. Tae Yun Kim puts it.  So simple and so true, no emotions messing up the picture!
Let's do this!  :)

2 comments:

SarahAlexSmile:) said...

So true...I have difficulty showing my weaknesses because I judge myself against those. I am learning to NOT do this and to free myself from the chains of my own self criticism! Thank you Dr. Tae Yun Kim!

HVC said...

Amen! So true!