Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The power of music

Ludwig van Beethoven used to love to walk through nature and get great inspiration and consolation from it

Dr. Tae Yun Kim often talks about the power of music, how the vibrations of music can influence us for better or worse.  It all depends on who wrote the music, who performs it and what state of mind they were in.

On the way to work this morning, I did something I usually don't do.  I listened to music.  Typically I enjoy the peace and quiet of the car ride, taking in the sights along the way, like hawks, a sunrise, clouds, the river and so much more.

Today though I felt like listening to music, and it so happened that Beethoven's 9th Symphony came on.  I have always liked Beethovens music, but particulary after Dr. Tae Yun Kim pointed out that he wrote - and directed! - most of his works after he was deaf.  He was completely deaf when he composed his 9th Symphony, and it is a very intricate, long, and amazing piece of music, written by a genius.



Dr. Tae Yun Kim also pointed out that Ludwig van Beethoven's life was full of struggle and hardships.  As a young child, he suffered great abuse at the hands of his father, was ridiculed in school for his dyslexia. And even though he went through periods of great depression, he never thought of taking his life, because he felt he had to work harder and faster to get all the music out into the world that was still inside him.

So when I listened to Beethoven's ultimate Masterpiece, I had tears of joy coming down - joy for this music to be born into this world by a master who wouldn't give up.

And joy for Dr. Tae Yun Kim, who's life has also been full of trouble and hardship, and yet she is still giving so much joy and happiness to the world through her work, through books, TV shows and so many other ways.

Please do yourself a favor and listen to Ludwig van Beethoven's beautiful work - I promise you won't regret it!  And once I figure out how to insert or link to this music, I will gladly share here!

No comments: