Thursday, January 12, 2017

Why it is so hard to get rid of negative emotions

Today's topic might be a little uncomfortable, but it's the beginning of a New Year and we want to achieve the goals we set, right?  So Dr. Tae Yun Kim encourages us to look deep inside ourselves and really get to the root of things.

For example, in her book, "Seven Steps to Inner Power" Dr. Tae Yun Kim talks about why it is not always easy to give up negative emotions.  Let's say one of our goals is to get rid of anger; or to get rid of depression.  Why aren't we successful?  Why is it so hard?  Negative emotions can be as strong as raging water, and just as destructive.



"Bear in mind that to some extent you may enjoy your negative emotional states.  Be willing to admit that perhaps you have found them comfortable, familiar friends.  Yes, on the surface you may say that it's no fun being angry.  But are you sure?  Are you sure there are not payoffs such as, When I am angry I like the feeling of being 'right'; When I am depressed, my husband pays more attention to me. (Manipulating others through negative states is what I call emotional blackmail.)"
(Seven Steps to Inner Power, page 42)

No comments: