Friday, July 4, 2008

Jung SuWon Training applied in everyday life



At the time I started training at Jung SuWon, I was living way out in the country in Vermont. So way out that the mail man didn't bring mail to the house, but to a cluster of mailboxes at the turnoff from the country road. It just so happened that the people living in the house across the mail box owned a very big dog that would always come running out after me when I went to get the mail, and was snapping at me and sometimes even nipping me.

So - being too fearful and shy to call the neighbors to control their dog, I began to avoid the mailbox altogether and asked other people if they could please pick up the mail for me.

After a couple of months of training, after having attained just a little glimpse of confidence, I dared walk to the mail box again. This time I had a plan. Sure enough, the dog came charging after me, barking louder than ever and looking very scarey with all those teeth!

However, this time, I dropped into a cat stance and let out the loudest ki up I had ever produced! I was determined that this dog would from now on respect me and leave me alone.

To my complete and utter amazement, the dog stopped immediately, and walked away. From then on we were best friends!

Yes, it does seem like such a small thing, but to me, this was everything - it showed me that yes, I could change! I didn't have to accept everything as it came, but that I can fight back and do things my way!

No comments: