Thursday, July 17, 2008

Jung SuWon Training: testing time!


Like I said in my previous post, testings are are highly unpredictable. You can just never tell what you'll end up doing.

I remember another testing, I believe I was testing for my redbelt.
Before anything got even started, I heard Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim call my name. I responded almost automatically and ran up, attention bowed, and stood at attention, ready for anything - or so I thought.

Next words I heard, "Sing the National Anthem".
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my huge big fears was singing in public, or even singing at all. I don't like how I sound when I sing, I have a squeaky, hollow voice...and...and...and I just was scared to death to sing in front of anyone, even myself, in the mirror!

So now, I was supposed to sing in front of all these people?

Some helpful soul came running up to me with a microphone..this was getting serious. I had beads of sweat on my forehead and everywhere else, and was shaking. Did Grandmaster really mean it? I mean, she really wanted me to sing?

Yes! She kept looking straight at me, with a big smile, and expectantly. I thought I was going to pass out right there.

But instead, the incredible thing happened. All of a sudden my mind quieted down. In fact, my mind seemed to just go in the background, and let my internal energy take over. All the time I had spent meditating, all the times I had told myself "He Can Do, She Can Do, Why Not Me!" were now showing results.

Before I knew it, I was singing the anthem (it had taken me about 3 weeks to memorize the words, but yes, I did do it!) and I didn't really realize what just happened until after it was all done and I heard applause....

No comments: