Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Jung SuWon Training: a very unusual Christmas party





Since I started training in late fall, I was invited to the Jung SuWon Christmas party.

At first of course I wasn't going to go at all. I was too shy and I didn't like parties. And I hardly knew anyone there yet, and after all, I went there to work out and learn martial arts, not go to parties...I had any number of excuses as to why not go to the party.

But Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim was so, well, inviting, that I simply couldn't resist. Her beautiful smile, encouraging words, well at least I was willing to give it a try and besides, I could always go home if I had enough, right?

It was a potluck, so I offered to make dessert (desserts are my specialty and I am going to start a blog on that subject soon). The occasion being a Christmas Party, I was going to make a gingerbread house. I spent 3 days making it, painstakingly, with candy glass windows, and leaving my kitchen a sticky mess :)

Anyhow, at first I felt so awkward at that party, and was going to go straight home, but it turned out fun, exciting, and entertaining and before I knew it I had a lot of fun and was part of the group.

We had a nice dinner and people shared why they made the food they did and I don't remember all the details, but everyone liked the dessert and Grandmaster made some nice comments and praised me...something I so much needed at the time. People were doing all kinds of performances, singing songs, some skits, and it was all very nice.

I started to realize that Martial Arts wasn't just a good workout, it could actually be a way of life...if I was ready to go for it....

No comments: